Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Hardcore Punk!!!!!!!!

Being trained as a metal guitarist before I discovered punk, I naturally have always loved hardcore punk among a lot of the other subgenres. After all, Dead Kennedys is one of the bands that really got me interested in punk (though my main gateway band was Green Day). But I never really tried to write hardcore punk songs, save for "Title Unrelated" that I wrote in FAWM 2012, and even then that was pretty much unintentional. At the time I was trying to write more of a Sex Pistols song but I came out with something a lot more fast, raw, and short. This month, it's FAWM 2014, my fifth FAWM, and the bands I had been absorbing myself with throughout December and January were Dead Kennedys (mainly In God We Trust, Inc.), Suicidal Tendencies, Rancid (mainly Rancid [2000]), early Descendents, Adolescents, Operation Ivy, Black Flag, and Misfits. So first thing when FAWM started, I wrote a hardcore punk song. Later I wrote another, and another, etc. I have to say, I don't know how I haven't done this before! It's fun to just let go and go batshit crazy playing quick fast songs. I thought some of my stuff was fast before! I don't know if this will bring the band in this new direction, but more than likely I'll maintain my usual style but have some hardcore punk songs thrown in. Along with these songs, I've also written some slow folk/acoustic songs, an experimental alternative song, and an a cappella song. It's like I've got a split personality!
I do hope that this FAWM will be the start of Last Year's Disaster having less of an overall pop-punk sound and more of a straight-up punk sound. This gets confusing, though, because this band is just overall experimental and also throws in lighter in between, so I don't want the transformation to being more "punk" to totally alienate the other stuff I write and make it sound out-of-place. Damn my diverse taste!!! Oh, well, either way, this band will still continue to purposely fuck up the listeners with odd mixes of songs put together! I don't see that changing anytime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment